With the temperatures hovering around 100 degrees throughout July in Washington, it's hard to imagine that back-to-school time is just around the corner.
Nevertheless, the first day for D.C. public school students - Aug. 27 - will be here before you know it.
If you'd rather avoid the rush at Walmart and Target (or you tend to do your back-to-school shopping at the last minute), we've compiled a list of several local stores where you can stock up on everything from notebooks and pencils to that perfect back-to-school wardrobe.
- CVS, 2819 M St. and 1403 Wisconsin Ave. Low-tech supplies like pencils, pens and notebook paper can be purchased at either location in Georgetown, as well as high-tech supplies like flash drives and CD-Rs. Don't forget about the old standbys like crayons and markers.
- Safeway, 1855 Wisconsin Ave. Why make a special trip to buy back-to-school supplies when you can pick up the essentials during a regular grocery run? Safeway stocks most of what your student will need to head back to school, including lunch boxes, notebooks and printer paper.
- Paper Source, 3019 M St. Calendars, planners, markers and stickers make staying organized more fun! Pick up all these at Paper Source, along with plenty of cute teacher-friendly gifts.
- Gap, 1258 Wisconsin Ave. Does your student need a new back-to-school wardrobe? You'll find the basics like jeans, t-shirts, socks and leggings at Gap.
- Brooks Brothers, 3077 M St. If you student prefers a preppier look, consider shopping at Brooks Brothers. This is Mecca for collared shirts, plaid patterns and khacki pants.
- Georgetown University Book Store, 3800 Resevoir Road. Even if your student has several years before he or she heads off to college, consider making a stop at the Georgetown University Book Store. Literally every back-to-school supply you could possibly think of will be stocked under one roof here.