Emancipation Day Service Changes
Trash will not be collected, but rush-hour lane restrictions will be enforced.
Monday, April 16 marks Emancipation Day in the District. Most local government agencies are closed and many services will be disrupted for the day.
- Rush-hour parking restrictions will be enforced. Vehicles will be ticketed and towed for violating these restrictions from 7 to 9:30 a.m. and from 4 to 6:30 p.m.
- Other parking regulations, including expired meters, residential parking and street sweeping, will be suspended for the holiday.
- During Nationals home games on Sunday, April 15 and Monday, April 16, parking enforcement will occur both days in the Nationals Park neighborhood.
The District Department of Transportation plans to maintain its reversible lane operations during the Emancipation Day Holiday for the following roads:
- Connecticut Avenue, NW between Legation Street and Woodley Road
- 16th Street, NW between Arkansas Avenue and Irving Street
- Canal Road between Chain Bridge and Foxhall Road
- Independence Avenue between 4th Street, SW and 2nd Street, SE
- Rock Creek Parkway (controlled by the National Park service)
There is no school for students, teachers, and staff in D.C. public schools. Administrative offices are closed.
- Monday and Thursday collections will “slide” to Tuesday and Friday, and Tuesday and Friday collections will be made Wednesday and Saturday.
- Street sweeping will be suspended Monday and resume Tuesday, April 17.