Georgetown's 'Liberal Bastions' Lukewarm on Airing State of the Union
In Georgetown "salons,"customers determine whether or not the State of the Union address is on TV.
During a heated speech condemning the attempts made to repeal the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” military policy, Sen. John McCain made a lambasted the “salons of Georgetown and the liberal bastions around the country.”
Today Americans and people all over the world will be tuning in to watch President Obama give the annual State of the Union address at 9 p.m. Despite the criticism of Georgetown being a bastion of liberals, not many of the bars around Georgetown are hosting events for the State of the Union address.
Of the bars Patch contacted, not one of them is specifically throwing a viewing party for the State of the Union address. They will however, tune-in upon customer request.
Dave Del Bene, General Manager of Clyde’s on 3236 M St., said, “It’s hard to do a whole big thing, but it is kind of the nature of being in DC. We will have the State of the Union on TV at least at one of the bars, and people will be able to watch it. We will have at least one TV turned on to it with the volume up.”
If you are looking for a place to view the State of the Union other than the balcony of the House of Representatives or the comforts of your couch, there are a handful of bars willing to show the speech. You can stop by Chadwicks, Mr. Smith’s of Georgetown, or Martin’s Tavern.
For those of you, who are driving near the Capitol tomorrow or headed to the real thing, there are a number of streets that will be closed or restricted, even for authorized persons from 6 p.m. Starting at 7 p.m. a number of streets will be closed on the North and South side of the Capitol for the event.
North Side of Capitol Square
- D Street, NE between 2nd Street, NE & Louisiana Avenue, NW
- C Street, NE between 2nd Street, NE & Louisiana Avenue, NW
- Constitution Avenue between 2nd Street, NE & Louisiana Avenue, NW
- Delaware Avenue between Columbus Circle & Constitution Avenue, NE
- New Jersey Avenue between Louisiana Avenue, & D Street, NE
- Pennsylvania Avenue between 1st Street, & 3rd Street, NW
- East Capitol Street between 2nd Street, & 1st Street, NE/SE
- 1st Street between Columbus Circle, NE & C Street, SE
- 1st Street between Louisiana Avenue, NW & Washington Avenue, SW
South Side of Capitol Square
- Maryland Avenue, SW between 1st Street, & 3rd Street, SW
- Independence Avenue between 2nd Street, SE & Washington Avenue, SW
- C Street between 1st Street, SE & Washington Avenue, SW
- Delaware Avenue between Washington Avenue, SW & C Street, SW
- New Jersey Avenue between Independence Avenue, & D Street, SE
- South Capitol Street between Independence Avenue & D Street, SE/SW