The Most Stolen Cars in D.C.
The Dodge Caravan is the most stolen vehicle in five states.
Lock your car and keep valuables out of sight: It’s good advice for owners of all vehicles, but it’s particularly pertinent advice for D.C. owners of 1998 Dodge Caravans.
The Dodge Caravan was the fifth most stolen vehicle across the country, according to “Hot Wheels,” an annual crime data report from the National Insurance Crime Bureau. The District has the distinction of being the only place where the 1998 model is the most stolen; in other states where the Caravan tops the list, theives prefer the 2000 model.
The 10 most-stolen vehicles in DC are:
- 1998 Dodge Caravan
- 1996 Honda Accord
- 2001 Jeep Cherokee
- 2000 Honda Civic
- 2007 Toyota Camry
- 1996 Plymouth Voyager
- 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- 2003 Ford Crown Victoria
- 2004 Dodge Stratus
- 2002 Dodge Intrepid
The Dodge Caravan was the most stolen car in five states other than the District: Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin.
Nationwide, vehicle thefts appear to be on the decline. Early data from 2011 FBI crime statistics show a 3.3 percent decline from 2010, with about 712,800 vehicles stolen.
“Today’s vehicle thieves are typically professional criminals who have figured out how to get the key code for a specific vehicle, have a replacement key made, and steal the vehicle within a matter of days,” according to an NICB release.
The NICB has released a video (see the video above) that explains key code thefts.
The NICB recommends four steps to ensuring your vehicle is not stolen:
- Lock your car and take your keys with you — most vehicle thefts are crimes of opportunity.
- Having an alarm system or a similar warning device can help.
- Installing or buying a car with a fuel cut-off or a smart key may also help.
- Installing a tracking device on your car so police can monitor its location when the car is reported stolen may aid in recovering the vehicle before too much damage is done.
Nationwide, the top 10 most-stolen vehicles are:
- 1994 Honda Accord
- 1998 Honda Civic
- 2006 Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- 1991 Toyota Camry
- 2000 Dodge Caravan
- 1994 Acura Integra
- 1999 Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- 2004 Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- 2002 Ford Explorer
- 1994 Nissan Sentra