Then & Now
The Bowie-Sevier house at 3124 Q St. continues to be the home of Georgetown's prominent citizens.
At 3124 Q St. sits the Bowie-Sevier House and was built around 1800 by Washington Bowie, the godson of George Washington and a prominent ship owner in Georgetown, according to the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites. The home later sold at auction in 1890 to John Sevier, a descendant of the first governor of Tennessee. The home currently belongs to media mogul Robert Allbritton who bought 3124 Q St. from developer Herb Miller, of Georgetown Park Mall and Washington Harbor fame, for $24 million in 2007.
The Bowie-Sevier house has 12 bedrooms and 8 and a half bathrooms as well as extensive grounds. Though originally built in the 19th century, the home was expanded between 1956 and 1957 after being willed to the Episcopal church ministry.
According to the Addendum to the Bowie-Sevier House entry in the Historic American Buildings Survey the Episcopal ministry made the home into a nursing home for Episcopal women and added an L-shaped wing to the house. When Herb Miller bought the property, he demolished the wing.