This Week's Weather: Light Snowfall Possible Monday, Tuesday Night
Temperatures will "warm up" into 40s by Wednesday.
The big chill in the DC area continues this week, through Tuesday night with highs in the 30s and a possibility for snow flurries Monday and Tuesday night, according to the National Weather Service.
The series of brief snow showers experienced in the last few days are known as Alberta Clippers. Though they generate very little snow—no more than an inch of snow on any single day—drivers should use allow extra time for travel and use caution as roads may be more slippery than usual, according to DC Alerts.
The DC Department of Public Works says it will treat roads and conduct snow prowls as needed.
Wind gusts up to 25 MPH will continue through Monday afternoon. The National Weather Service has issued a Small Craft Advisory for Monday until 3 p.m. that includes the Potomac River. This means that wind speeds of 18 to 33 knots are expected to produce hazardous wave conditions for small craft. Inexperienced mariners, especially those operating smaller vessels should avoid navigating in these conditions.
Monday expect mostly sunny skies with a high in the mid-30s, although it will feel chillier thanks to the blustery winds. Come Monday evening, there is a 70 percent chance of snow flurries. (The Capital Weather Gang gives the possibility for snow flurries a 30 percent chance.)
Tuesday will start out cloudy and get sunnier as the day wears on. With highs in the upper 30s and winds dying down, it won't seem quite as chilly as Monday. There's another chance for flurries Tuesday night, but just a 40 percent chance.
The week begins to warm up on Wednesday with partly sunny skies and temperatures heading into the lower 40s.
Thursday is looking like a decent weather day with mostly sunny skies and highs in the 40s.
Friday is cloudy, but temperatures should climb a bit into the upper 40s. Saturday will also be in the upper 40s with sunny skies.
Sunrise Monday is at 7:11 a.m. and sunset is at 5:33 a.m, according to the National Weather Service. The next full moon is Feb. 25.