What's Up With the Metro: August 19-21
A look at what you need to know about Metro this weekend.
Planning to use the Metro to get around this weekend? Here’s what to expect.
This weekend, August 19-21, buses will replace Red Line trains between Fort Totten and Glenmont, and five stations – Takoma, Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont – will be closed as Metro personnel install new rail, replace ties and fasteners, install new communications cables to enhance cell phone coverage, and conduct preventive maintenance on 12 elevators and 7 escalators.
Customers should take note of the following service impacts:
Red Line – from 10 p.m., Friday through closing on Sunday
- Buses will replace Red Line trains between Fort Totten and Glenmont stations.
- Takoma, Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont stations will be closed.
- Metro will operate free shuttle buses between Fort Totten and Glenmont stations. One shuttle bus route will service Fort Totten, Takoma and Silver Spring. A second route will serve all affected stations: Fort Totten, Takoma, Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont.
- Red Line service will operate normally between Fort Totten and Shady Grove stations.
- Customers wishing to avoid the work area may wish to consider Metrobus Y and Q routes for north-south connections or J routes for east-west travel, or Ride-On bus services. In addition, customers may wish to travel from stations at the opposite end of the line (e.g. Shady Grove).
- Customers traveling through the work zone should allow about 45 minutes of additional travel time.
Blue Line – from 10 p.m., Friday, through closing on Sunday
- Blue Line trains will share one track between Stadium-Armory and Addison Road stations as personnel make repairs to the floating slabs below the rails to provide a smoother ride.
- Blue Line trains will share one track between Arlington Cemetery and Pentagon City stations as personnel conduct rail renewal work.
- Throughout the weekend, Blue Line trains will depart endpoint terminals about every 20 minutes.
- Additionally, all Yellow Line trains will operate every 20 minutes between the Huntington and Mt. Vernon stations.
- Customers should allow about 20 minutes of additional travel time through this area.
Orange Line – From 10 p.m. Friday through closing on Sunday
- Orange Line trains will share one track between Vienna and West Falls Church stations to allow for rail and tie renewal.
- On Saturday and Sunday from opening to 9:30 p.m., every other train from New Carrollton will turn back at West Falls Church station.
- Customers should allow about 20 minutes of additional travel time.