Take a poll of a group of people you know and there is a good chance that Italian food will top their list of favorites. Whether dining out, or preparing food to eat at home, many people love Italian food. When dining out they are assured a great Italian meal if they choose a restaurant specializing in it. But those preparing the meal at home may not know the Italian tips and tricks that can turn a decent meal into a great one.
“Once you are familiar with Italian cooking you can create a great meal at home,” explains Ryan Fichter, the executive chef at Rialto, a new Italian restaurant in Georgetown. “But there are a few important factors that go into preparing a great Italian meal at home. Once you take those into consideration you will have an irresistible meal.”
Here are some tips for creating the perfect Italian meal at home:
· Always stick to using seasonal ingredients. Italian food focuses on using only fresh ingredients that are in season, which will help ensure the most flavorful meal.
· Mind your pasta portion and time that you cook it. Many people either overcook or undercook the pasta so it’s recommended to do a taste test and always salt your water. Others make a ton of pasta and don’t have enough sauce to compensate. Measure out the pasta and be sure to not over or undercook it for the best taste.
· Forget using anything but a high quality olive oil in your cooking. That is the only way you will bring out the best Italian flavors in your meal. Get the best quality olive oil you can find when preparing Italian meals.
· Herbs play an important role in Italian cooking. Opt for fresh herbs, which will provide more flavor to the meals. Common herbs used in Italian cooking include basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
· Always cook your sauces from scratch, using the freshest and most in season ingredients you can find. This will help to create the best tasting sauces.
“It’s always fun to experiment and try making new dishes at home,” adds Chef Fichter. “Keep these tips in mind when cooking Italian food. They will help you get the best results and most flavorful dishes. And if you are not happy with the results we are always ready to serve up your favorite Italian dish.”
Rialto, a new restaurant located at 2915 M Street NW, offers gift cards. They are located in an historic building the heart of Georgetown. The restaurant offers world-class Italian food in an upscale atmosphere. The décor is unique, custom made, and most of the items have been imported from Europe. The restaurant features partially open kitchens, fresh pasta, imported specialty ingredients, fresh seafood, and a cheese counter. The menu offers a variety of meat, seafood, and vegetarian options, served in both family style and piattini style (small dishes) to encourage sharing. To learn more, visit www.RialtoDC.com.