Most of us (or at those above the age of 8) agree it truly is better to give than to receive during the holiday season.
In that spirit, there are several local nonprofit organizations in Georgetown and DC that deserve your attention and donations this year. Click on the name of the organization to find out how you can help.
The list is far from complete. If you'd like to share the name of a charity that needs help this December, leave a comment below.
- Casey Trees: "Restoring, enhancing and protecting the tree canopy of the nation's capital."
- ACCESS Youth: "ACCESS Youth recognizes the unlimited potential of each child and provides youth with access to resources, support and services that empower them to transform themselves and make life choices that positively impact their future."
- Friends of Rose Park: According to the organization's website, "Friends of Rose Park, Inc. (FRP) is a volunteer non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to Rose Park in Georgetown, Washington D.C. FRP works with the neighborhood, the D.C. Department of Parks & Recreation, and the National Park Service to make Rose Park a valued community resource. Using private donations, mostly from the neighborhood, FRP maintains and improves the grounds, hosts events in the Park, and undertakes major capital improvement projects."
- Georgetown Ministry Center: Georgetown Ministry Center operates a winter shelter that offers a safe haven for withdrawn and vulnerable homeless neighbors, according to its website.
- Washington National Cathedral: "Washington National Cathedral is called to be the spiritual home for the nation."
Does your organization need volunteers this month? Are you looking to donate your time? Check out volunteer opportunities or post a call for help here.