By Scott Bernarde
The Powerball jackpot is estimated to be $400 million when the next drawing is held on Wednesday, Feb. 19, with a $227.8 million one-time cash payout.
The total would give this drawing the sixth-highest annuity jackpot in American lottery history. That could be enough to buy a tropical island far away from this winter's endless snow and cold.
Philly.com lists the top 5 jackpots (annuitized):
- $656 million (Mega Millions), March 30, 2012. Payout, $471 million to three winners.
- $648 million (Mega Millions), Dec. 17, 2013. Payout, $347.6 million to two winners.
- $590.5 million (Powerball), May 18, 2013. Payout, $370.9 million to one winner in Florida.
- $587.5 million (Powerball), Nov. 28, 2012. Payout, $384.7 million to two winners.
- $448.4 million (Powerball), Aug. 7, 2013. Payout, $258.2 million to three winners.
The state with the most winners in the top 25? New Jersey, with six (Georgia, Illinois and California are next at three each).
Powerball is played in 43 states, Washington D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Your odds of winning are about 1 in 175 million.Looking for a place to play in DC? Click here and type in your location.