The adoption event is set for July 12 from noon to 7 p.m. at 1201 New York Avenue, NE, and 7319 Georgia Avenue, NW. The group will also be waiving adoption fees for cats adopted July 12 from foster homes or at offsite events (www.washhumane.org/adoptionevents).
The standard adoption interview and approval process applies to all adoptions. Temporary cat carriers will be available to purchase for $5.Here's what you need to know before you get serious about adopting a feline:
Check to see if your home is pet-friendly, especially if you rent. Please bring:
- A photo ID
- Any household members who should meet the pet (children, roommates, etc.), and
- Call ahead if you would like to bring your current family dog for an introduction.
- Meet the pet outside of his/her kennel or in his/ her foster home. We may require all members of the household to do so.
- Complete an adoption questionnaire after you have met your desired pet (false, incomplete, or withheld information will void your application).
- Have a consultation with an Adoption Counselor to ensure your intended pet is a good match for your home, and to give you the opportunity to ask questions (if an immediate interview is not possible at the time you submit your application, you will receive a call to discuss your application within 1-2 business days of submission).
- Once your application for adoption is approved, the pet must be picked up within 24 hours. The only exception is if the animal is awaiting spay/neuter surgery.
- Adoption tips and shopping list.
- Your Adoption Counselor will email or call to answer questions and provide resources. Call or email anytime to ask for advice or assistance from the adoptions staff or Behavior and Training team.