1. Georgetown Gala “Putting on the Glitz”
- When/Where: 7 to 11 p.m. Friday at the Embassy of the Russian Federation, 2650 Wisconsin Ave. NW, D.C.
- Why Go: The 2012 Georgetown black tie formal gala benefits the Citizen's Association of Georgetown. The night of dinner, dancing and drinks is exciting enough to draw in local notables from the Russian ambassador himself to the mayor in recent years. You also have the chance to bid on auction items like a week in a seven bedroom renovated 18th century house in the French town of Vence, a Georgetown Scavenger Hunt, and a one-week stay for two at the Rancho La Puerta resort and spa in Mexico.
- Cost: Tickets are $250 with a 20-percent discount for CAG members.
2. Fall Festival at Market Common Clarendon
- When/Where: Events take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Market Common Clarendon, 2700 Clarendon Blvd. in Arlington.
- Why Go: Trick-or-treating, a costume parade, petting zoo, face painting and a kid’s circus.
- Cost: Free
- More info: Visit the shopping center’s website. Read our full list of family-friendly Halloween events in Arlington.
3. Edgar Allan Poe with The Georgetown Theatre Company
- When/Where: 8 p.m. Saturday at Grace Episcopal Church, 1041 Wisconsin Ave. NW, D.C.
- Why Go: Get into the Halloween spirit (pun intended) as actors "communicate with the spirits and read a witches’ brew of poems and short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, including The Cask of Amontillado, The Raven, Annabel Lee and others," according to the event notice.
- Cost: $10 donation requested
4. Halloween at the Village at Shirlington
- When/Where: 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Village at Shirlington, 4200 Campbell Ave., Arlington
- What’s happening: Trick-or-treat through the village shops. A pumpkin carving contest will also be hosted at the Hilton Garden Inn open to all children 16 years and younger. Read more on the carving contest here. Several restaurants and stores will also host promotions and events.
- More info: Visit the Shirlington website. Read our full list of family-friendly Halloween events in Arlington.
- Cost: Free
5. The 37th Annual Marine Corps Marathon
- When/Where: From 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., look for runners along the race course in Arlington and Georgetown
- Why Go: Make a sign, break out the cowbell and count your lucky stars that you are not just 15 miles into a 26.2-mile race. The race is hard to avoid if you live in Georgetown or Arlington, so you might as well embrace it!
- Cost: Free to watch, cheers accepted.
- More info: Read our coverage of the Marine Corps Marathon.