Metro will perform system rebuilding work on several lines in the system for Labor Day weekend Aug. 30 through Sept. 2.
Track work on the Green Line will take place Saturday and Sunday only.
Weekend track work will result in service changes on Red and Orange lines beginning at 10 p.m. Friday and lasting through system closing Monday night.
Metro has not scheduled work on the Blue or Yellow lines.
According to a Metro news release:
10 p.m. Aug. 30 through closing Sept. 2
Buses replace trains between Forest Glen & Rhode Island Ave
Red Line trains will operate as follows:
- Between Shady Grove & Rhode Island Ave: Every 10 minutes 9AM-9PM and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Between Glenmont & Forest Glen: Every 10 minutes 9AM-9PM and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
Free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Forest Glen and Rhode Island Ave to allow for reconstruction. Shuttle buses will operate on two routes:
- Limited Stop Buses will operate between Forest Glen and Rhode Island Ave with a single intermediate stop at Silver Spring. Allow 12 minutes of travel time between Forest Glen and Silver Spring. Allow 25 minutes of travel time between Silver Spring and Rhode Island Ave.
- Local Buses will operate between Forest Glen and Rhode Island Ave making stops at all intermediate stations (Silver Spring, Takoma, Fort Totten, Brookland). Please allow 10 minutes of travel time for each station stop. For example, a rider traveling between Silver Spring and Fort Totten should allow 20 minutes of travel time, because the bus makes two stops.
Stations Closed: Silver Spring, Takoma, Brookland (Fort Totten open for Green & Yellow lines only)
Work Performed: Crews will make improvements to third-rail infrastructure, install cable for Emergency Trip Stations, perform concrete repair work and continue platform reconstruction.
Change to Last Train Times: The last Red Line train of the night from Glenmont to Forest Glen will depart 53 minutes earlier than normal to allow for shuttle bus connections. On Friday and Saturday nights, the last train will leave Glenmont at 1:44 a.m., and on Sunday and Monday, the last train will leave Glenmont at 10:44 p.m.
- If traveling between the eastern side of the Red Line and the Green or Yellow lines, consider making the connection at Fort Totten.
- Metrobus service may provide an alternate travel option for some riders. To check, plan your trip using Trip Planner and select the "bus only" option.
ORANGE LINE10 p.m. Aug. 30 through closing Sept. 2
Trains every 24 minutes
Orange Line trains will operate as follows:
- Between Vienna & New Carrollton - Every 24 minutes throughout the weekend.
Work Performed: Crews will continue platform reconstruction work at Deanwood and Minnesota Ave stations, as well as track maintenance, fastener renewal, and grout pad rehabilitation between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly. In addition, signal system testing will continue for the new Silver Line.
Travel Tip: Before traveling, consult the trip planner at wmata.com to check the special schedule and reduce your wait time. (Trip Planner is updated to reflect weekend rebuilding schedules on Fridays; please check on Friday afternoon or later.) You will experience the additional wait time on the platform. Once your train departs the station, it is not expected to encounter additional delays en route.
Aug. 31 through closing Sept. 1
Buses replace trains at Greenbelt Station only
NOTE: Green Line service will operate normally (no track work) on Friday night and all day Labor Day, Monday, September 2. Greenbelt Station will be open during these times.
Green Line trains will operate at normal weekend intervals between College Park and Branch Ave throughout the weekend. Normal intervals are every 12-20 minutes.
On Saturday and Sunday only, free shuttle buses will replace Green Line trains between Greenbelt and College Park to allow for ongoing construction on a new test track to accept Metro's new fleet of 7000-series railcars. Normal rail service will resume to/from Greenbelt on Monday. Riders using shuttle bus service should allow about 15 minutes of travel time.
Station Closed: Greenbelt
Travel Tip: If you normally travel to or from Greenbelt Station, consider using College Park instead.