Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Fire officials continue to check for hot spots as of 11:20 a.m. Wednesday.
D.C. Fire and emergency responders put out a fire Wednesday morning at 2300 41st St. in Glover Park. Fire Chief Brian Lee said the department arrived on scene at about 10:40 a.m. The fire originated in the basement. No residents were harmed, Lee said. Emergency responders remain on scene, as of 11:20 a.m., checking for fire extension and other hot spots. The department is not ready to make a determination on what sparked the fire, Lee said.
Monday, March 26, 2012
Kew Gardens is located at the intersection of 27th Street and Q Street.
D.C. Fire and EMS responded to a fire in a condominium complex on Q Street shortly after 7:30 p.m. Traffic is blocked for a section of Q Street near the intersection of 27th Street. Residents who were evacuated from the building said the fire originated in an upper level unit in Kew Gardens, located at 2700 Q Street. Stay tuned to Patch for updates on this story.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
A fire significantly damaged the Washingtonian gas station and auto repair shop at Wisconsin Avenue and Q Street Tuesday morning.
In the aftermath of the fire that ripped through the Washingtonian gas and auto repair station on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown, the next door neighbors are expressing frustration over the what they considered a lack of concern from Fire personnel and the property owner. Pete Piringer, spokesman for D.C. Fire and EMS, however, said agency personnel responded quickly and performed the job as they were trained to: calmly. Gisleide Oliveira lives in the home directly next to the gas station on Q Street. In an email to concerned friends, she wrote, the entire experience was "unpleasant" because she felt the response time was slow and that fire personnel were unconcerned with the fire potentially spreading to her home. "I actually had to be …
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Keep your tree well-watered to avoid fires during the holiday season.
Festive furs and precious pines make the home smell like Christmas and provide the perfect place to present those gifts. Just make sure you keep yours well-tended and moist. When ignited, a dry Fraser Fir "bursts into flames in less than seven seconds, and it will be consumed by fire in slightly more than a minute," according to National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). According to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) the reports that "one in nine Christmas tree fires lead to a death." At a kitchen fire recently on Wisconsin Ave. Captain Sefton of D.C. Fire said this time of year many fires are caused by holiday decorations or people trying to keep warm. Open flames from holiday candles and space heaters are …
Monday, December 6, 2010
D.C. Fire and EMS determined that the fire at 2730 Wisconsin Ave. this morning was cause by attended food cooking on the stove. The fire was extinguished by 11:40 a.m. Monday.
UPDATE: The kitchen fire that destroyed a second floor apartment at 2730 Wisconsin Ave. late morning Monday was caused by unattended food on the stove, according to Pete Piringer, the public information officer for D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services. D.C. Fire responded to an 11:28 a.m. call and had the fire extinguished by 11:40 a.m. No one was harmed by the blaze at the Skyline Towers apartment building, north of Georgetown. Georgetown's Engine 5 truck was the first on the scene within two minutes of the alarm; a total of six engines and three ladder trucks arrived to help manage the small blaze. When the kitchen fire started there were four occupants in the apartment who then self-evacuated according to Captain Sefton of D.C. Fire…
Thursday, November 25, 2010
Police, Fire, EMS and hospital staff working the Thanksgiving holiday enjoyed a hot meal at the Four Seasons hotel on a Mayflower moving truck.
Fire trucks, police cars and ambulances lined the bridge over Rock Creek Parkway next to the Four Seasons hotel in Georgetown on Thanksgiving day. It was not fire, crime or emergency that brought the hard working public servants to the neighborhood; it was the promise of a hot turkey dinner served by the Four Seasons as a gift and a thank you. For 11 years, the Four Seasons in partnership with Secor Group has hosted "Thanksgiving on the Mayflower." This year's event will serve up over 300 meals to police officers, Fire fighters, EMTs, doctors and nurses serving D.C. on Thanksgiving day. One at a time, fire engines and police cruisers pulled up on M St. Personnel were greeted by a giant live turkey, hotel manager Thomas Legner took the …
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Montgomery County voters will vote on an ambulance reimbursement fee, which has already greatly benefited D.C.
Fire Chiefs from several jurisdictions, including D.C., gathered today to discuss the success of their Emergency Medical Services (EMS) revenue recovery programs. Montgomery County Fire Chief Richard Bowers sought their input as he urged residents Thursday to support an ambulance reimbursement fee at the polls in November. Montgomery County's volunteer firefighters have led the charge against it, saying it would jeopardize public safety because people may try to drive themselves to hospitals for treatment over concerns about getting stuck with the bill. "We feel this is going to lead to delayed care," said Eric Bernard, executive director of the Montgomery County Volunteer Fire-Rescue Association. "Tell them to produce studies that say …
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Since the 2007 fire, the Georgetown Neighborhood Library has sat lonely on its hill at R St. On Oct. 5 the neighborhood gem once again was filled by community members, marveling at the building's transformation.
Excitement coursed through the Georgetown Neighborhood Library on Tuesday night, as donors gathered to tour the resurrected monument. The building will reopen to the public on Oct. 18 with $16 million in renovations after the 2007 fire. Few will forget April 30, 2007, when flames engulfed much of the landmark, destroying dozens of community artifacts and gutting a treasured piece of Georgetown history. Project architect James G. Reigle, from Washington-based architectural firm Martinez and Johnso, led a tour through the building. Reigle was excited by results thus far, but insisted that "It's not quite there. There's a lot to do to get ready for the opening … a lot to fix up." Even in its unfinished state, with many empty shelves and …